Borscht soup has a special place in my heart. So I decided to share my family recipe for a vegetarian borscht.
This vegetarian version of borscht soup it tastes just as good as the meat version. Borscht soup is easy to make, and it’s the perfect recipe to use up those beets you might have laying around.
Usually, you serve borscht soup with sour cream on top, but you don’t have to add it if you don’t eat dairy.
- 2 medium-size beets, boiled, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 2 medium-size
- 1 small onion, diced
- Black pepper
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1L of vegetable broth
- 1Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onions, cook until soft and brown, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in beets, and cook for 1 minute.
- 2Stir in vegetable stock and bring to boil.
- 3Add diced potatoes, bay leaves, lemon juice in to the soup, season with salt and pepper and cook for 15min.
- 4Finally add dried parsley and dill to the soup and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes.
- 5Remove soup from the heat. It is now ready to be served.