It's a traditional Lithuanian dish, this dish is one of those, you either love it or you hate it. I personally adore this herring salad with carrots. We make it for various events like Christmas eve, birthdays, dinner parties, new year...
I hope you try this herring salad!
- 2 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 200g herring
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 walnuts
- Dried cilantro
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1Peel and shred the carrots.
- 2Slice the onion into thin circle slices.
- 3In a pan heat the oil. Add carrots, onions and cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and carrots are soft.
- 4Season with more sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Add cinnamon and walnuts. Off the heat - let it cool completely.
- 5Slice herring into small pieces and mix it with cool carrot-onion mixture.
- 6Best served with bread or steamed potatoes!