This is one of those recipes that I came up with during one of my midnight hunger pangs. At least I don’t want to spend too long in the kitchen figuring out what to eat during the late hours of the night. So this is my go-to recipe and once you give it a try you’d want to experiment with other versions of it as well.
As easy as it could get, all you need to do for the pesto sauce is to combine the ingredients in a food processor. But make sure you don’t take it too far because you’re not looking for a paste already, rather a coarsely chopped mixture. Once you add the oil, the mixture will become a paste, just the way a perfect pesto sauce should be.
A grilled slice of bread dabbed with a bit of olive oil makes me hungry regardless of what the time may be. And life gets even better when you have this pesto sauce to pair it with. Spread the pesto sauce onto your bruschetta or treat it like a dip is your choice.
I love to spread a generous amount of goat cheese on top of the pesto paste because it adds that zing to the recipe and gives it a touch of sophistication. Feel free to pair it with cheese of your choice because how wrong can cheese go, right?
- Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 1 Tomato
- Olive Oil
- 50g goat cheese
- Dried Cilantro
- 1Homemade Pesto Sauce: Combine the basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, walnuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Bruschetta: brush the bread slices with olive oil and grill. Once cooled, spread two tablespoons of pesto on each slice.
- 3Top with goat cheese, some slices of tomatoes, a dash of olive oil.
- 4Add pepper and salt to taste. Serve with dried cilantro.