This is a traditional Lithuanian beet salad. It is one of the most popular salads in Lithuanian cooking. This is a recipe which is close to my heart. I live in Mexico now but I love to prepare this salad recipe oftentimes. It reminds me of my childhood since my mother used to serve this recipe quite frequently. This salad still forms a unique part of the servings on every celebration in Lithuania like Christmas, Easter, New Year, Birthdays....
Beetroot is known to embody numerous vitamins and minerals and contribute to overall good health. Beans on the other hand are called the power house of nutrients, including antioxidants.
In my opinion this salad is one of the best combinations of wholesome ingredients. The tangy pickled cucumber sprinkles tickles on your tongue, while the egg and mayonnaise makes the spoonful dissolve in your mouth in a snap of fingers.
Those flavorful and nutritious salad will surely leave you with a craving for more.
Happy cooking and healthy living!
- 3 medium beets
- 0.5 cup sour cream
- 1 cup of black bean, cooked
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small onion
- 3 pickled cucumbers
- 2 tbsp dried cilantro
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- Minced fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- 1Cook beets in a boiling water until they are soft for around 45-60 min.
- 2Chop the onion and pickled cucumbers.
- 3When the beetroot are cool, peel them and chop into small, approx 1cm, cubes.
- 4Mix the beetroot, onion, pickled cucumbers, black bean, dill, dried cilantro, sour cream, mayonnaise together.
- 5Season with salt, pepper and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped egg and cilantro.